The Hanover Center Schoolhouse was one of 18 district schools in Hanover, New Hampshire. Built in 1826 on the Hanover Center Common, the Schoolhouse was open to local students until 1945.
The neighborhood of Hanover Center was built starting in the mid-1700s. The oldest house in Hanover is located across the common from the Schoolhouse. Town meetings were held in Hanover Center with the first meeting house built in 1774. The meeting house was used for religious services and public meetings. Hanover Center was home to the Parade Ground, the central gathering spot for Muster Days, during which all able-bodied men presented themselves prepared for military service. Hanover still celebrates Muster Day each year on the Parade Ground, recognizing military service.
The Hanover Center Old-Timers Fair is another annual event celebrated on the common. The tradition of a small-town New England fair each June draws people from near and far to see the oxen pull, find treasures at the auction, play children’s games for $0.20 per game, see the parade, eat home-cooked food, visit with neighbors and old friends, and much more. Many of the attendees stop by the Schoolhouse during their visit to the Hanover Center Common to say that they went to school there. Former students are always welcome.
The tradition of learning continues in the Schoolhouse as books abound and indexes for new books are created. It’s a wonderful mix of modern technology and history. The bell still tolls, calling the children home now.